Old November 6th 03, 07:22 PM
Gray Shockley

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 12:48:19 -0600, Pierre L wrote
(in message ):

I have two very good digital tuning shortwave radios, one with synchronous
sideband, but I find myself choosing to play with and listen to the little
analog tuning portable I have most of the time. I like to be able to scan
the bands by hand with the dial and to see where I am. When I let the
digital do this automatically, it just doesn't seem the same. I just don't
derive the same pleasure from the digital tuning, and I have no plans to
ever be a part of digital radio.

Anyone else feel like that? Maybe it's because my first shortwave was in the
1960's.

Pierre

I /love/ digital tuning.

All the sw radio's I had in the fifties and sixties were, of course, analog
and I can remember having QSLs refused because I was a little off on the
stations' transmit frequency.

Perhaps my favorite feature of digital control is that it makes possible
memories which I use a whole lot.

But at least three out of my four sw radios /have/ analog tuning so - if I
feel like it - I can "scan the bands".

Gray Shockley
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399