Old November 6th 03, 09:49 PM
Mark S. Holden

Rick wrote:

Mark,
Thanks for the information, it really helped in my decision. I probably
won't be buying this radio. I read about the keyboard bounce and few other
problems the radio has, and I don't want to deal with a problematic
receiver.

So the hunt goes on for a better receiver.

My personal favorite is the Harris RF-550.

There's one on ebay now, but it's almost as much as buying one from a dealer who will burn it in and test it for 24 hours for you. It's got few convenience features, so it's not for everyone, but it's built like a tank and delivers a signal that's fun to
listen to.

I had a Racal 6790/gm but while it performed well, I wasn't impressed with the build quality, and the audio just wasn't as nice as the Harris.

On consumer rigs, I've had an R8, and have an AOR-7030+. Out of the box, I liked the R8 better, but after adding a couple filters better suited to my tastes, the 7030 is better for my needs because it's practical to run on batteries. (Mine is installed
in a custom case with a pair of NIMH battery packs, a fast charger, and an Avantek preamp for an active antenna -I use it for camping and vacations)