Old November 6th 03, 09:46 PM
Frank Dresser

"Pierre L" wrote in message
.. .
I have two very good digital tuning shortwave radios, one with

synchronous
sideband, but I find myself choosing to play with and listen to the

little
analog tuning portable I have most of the time. I like to be able to

scan
the bands by hand with the dial and to see where I am. When I let the
digital do this automatically, it just doesn't seem the same. I just

don't
derive the same pleasure from the digital tuning, and I have no plans

ever be a part of digital radio.

Anyone else feel like that? Maybe it's because my first shortwave was

in the
1960's.

Pierre

I prefer analog tuning if the tuning mechanism has a minimal amount of
drive friction and backlash. Flywheel tuning is a nice bonus. Some of
the analog tuning radios are pretty stiff and/or sloppy, though.

I like to give the knob a quick spin, watch the indicator and hear which
bands are hot. It's not the same with a digital set, especially the
ones the chuff with tuning.

I'm sure digital would suit me better if I were DXing or QSLing. Mostly
now, I just park it on a good clear signal and listen to the
programming.

Frank Dresser