Old November 7th 03, 02:18 PM
Rick

Mark,
Thank you very much for your insight. I was looking at a Harris on Ebay and
it is a bit pricey for being used. I'll look into the Harris a bit more.

I also looked at a Plessey Receiver although it had great specs, I didn't
find much feedback on how it performs etc.

My 3 current receivers a
Drake R8, which I really enjoy, I bought it on Ebay, and the condition was
incredible. I couldn't even find the slightest scratch.

I also have a Icom IC-R75 which I puchased new about 6 months ago. Great
performer on SSB and the DSP unit seems to do it's job well. It was lousy on
AM, the sound was horrible, the narrow filters only made it worse, so I had
the Kiwai filters installed to fix the sync and had the hi fi mod installed.
A much better receiver now. Especially for the money.

My third rig is a Hammarlund SP 600 dual diveristy (without the second
receiver) Excellent in every way. I've had he receiver since 1983 and it's
in pristine condition. I would never ever part with it. It takes up alot of
rack space, but I don't care.

Thats all for now, and thanks again.

73's
Rick

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Rick wrote:

Mark,
Thanks for the information, it really helped in my decision. I probably
won't be buying this radio. I read about the keyboard bounce and few

other
problems the radio has, and I don't want to deal with a problematic
receiver.

So the hunt goes on for a better receiver.

My personal favorite is the Harris RF-550.

There's one on ebay now, but it's almost as much as buying one from a

dealer who will burn it in and test it for 24 hours for you. It's got few
convenience features, so it's not for everyone, but it's built like a tank
and delivers a signal that's fun to
listen to.

I had a Racal 6790/gm but while it performed well, I wasn't impressed with

the build quality, and the audio just wasn't as nice as the Harris.

On consumer rigs, I've had an R8, and have an AOR-7030+. Out of the box,

I liked the R8 better, but after adding a couple filters better suited to my
tastes, the 7030 is better for my needs because it's practical to run on
batteries. (Mine is installed
in a custom case with a pair of NIMH battery packs, a fast charger, and an

Avantek preamp for an active antenna -I use it for camping and vacations)