Old November 9th 03, 05:45 AM
starman

Jim wrote:

i had an old firestone console all my childhood and early adulthood. it
had flywheel tuning that must of weighed a pound, split-gear backlash
control and 6v6 output tubes into a 12 inch speaker. even my cheap
sangean portables that i have now are far superior in every way but one.
there is little satisfaction with any of them. i am not "one with my
radio" like i once was. my old radio was an extension of my senses....
like a telescope that allows me to see all the way around the world. the
new ones are like watching it all on web cam. maybe my brain interfaces
better to the radio with analog. to use digital requires a conscious
thought with every keystroke. spinning that knob is a more instinctive
action.

Have you ever used a digital receiver with a tuning knob? The better
ones all have a knob in addition to the keypad.