Old November 9th 03, 04:32 PM
Peter Maus

Eric F. Richards wrote:

I have two and use a third. I like them! :-) However, they aren't
perfect -- far from it.

Pros:
o As sensitive as you could ever need on HF
o Rock-stable
o Very flexible tuning steps, including user defined one
o Very flexible memory handling
o Excellent performer in USB/LSB
o Excellent fidelity -- pleasant to listen to.
o Good performer in AM.
o Easy to learn but quite sophisticated
o Almost impossible to overload
o All the above true all the way up to 2 GHz.
o Built like a tank

Cons:
o The filters have poor shapes and are poor choices!
o No notch or pass-band tuning
o No sync-AM
o Not a good "bang-for-buck" choice for HF listening only.

Now, I've owned or currently own the following HF radios:
o Yaesu FRG-100B
o ICOM R-75
o ICOM R-71A
o Collins R-392
o Yaesu FRG-7
o Lowe HF-150
o Ten-Tec RX-340
o WinRadio G303i

So I think I have a good handle on the radio. I respect Peter's
opinion, but I'm going to disagree with him, below...

Now, why am I not surprised.....

Actually, I was expecting you to give the other side's
perspective.

How you been Eric? Things going better?

Peter Maus wrote:

Personally, I'm not a big fan of widebands. I have a couple,
they're ok. Use them mostly on field jobs, where I need to monitor
a huge range of frequencies from a compact setup.

For serious listening, discrete components will get you better
results. HF receivers are optimized for HF. V/UHF receivers are
optimized for higher bands, where channel widths can be wider than
many entire HF bands. Widebands that do justice to HF are going to
be expensive. And compromise both spectra.

No doubt, the 8500 is expensive, but it gets most of the basics right.
If I could change anything about it, it would be the filter choices
for AM.

Your R8B is a top flight performer for MW/HF. Audio is superb.
selectivity is equally good.

Your Uniden is a good selection for the upper bands. As far as
1.2G and above....not much up there, and what is, is mostly digital.
Around here, 1.2G and up is mostly just quiet. But if you want a
better V/Uhf rig, Icom's R-7000 or R-7100 are very good choices, and
can be found on the used market at considerable savings over new
offerings.

I have used an ICOM R-7100 side-by-side with the '8500, and the 8500
is FAR more sensitive and stable than the 7100. As a V/UHF radio
alone, it is worth getting.

Now, what the Uniden will get you that the ICOM won't have is trunk
tracking and a faster scan rate. And a cheaper price. On all other
measures, the ICOM is superior. (I own a Uniden 780 TT3.)

If I were in your shoes, I'd keep the other two and add the '8500.
Especially if you are chasing V/UHF weak signal stuff, or want a radio
with stunningly pleasant audio on AM, or is built like a tank.

Obviously I'm an '8500 fan. It would be interesting to hear a
contrarian point of view from someone who owns or owned an '8500 and
found it wanting.

Eric