Old November 10th 03, 06:22 AM
Tony Meloche

WShoots1 wrote:

Jim: i had an old firestone console all my childhood and early adulthood. it
had flywheel tuning that must of weighed a pound, split-gear backlash control
and 6v6 output tubes into a 12 inch speaker. even my cheap sangean portables
that i have now are far superior in every way but one. there is little
satisfaction with any of them. i am not "one with my radio" like i once was. my
old radio was an extension of my senses....

I don't neccesarily long to go back to that time, but I do remember
it - my first DX machine was a 1937 Zenith console. One huge round
glass window as the dial face, with a "magic eye" tuner, and two 6L6GC's
as the output (one of which was removed because the caps were so bad
that it hummed unbearably with both of them in). The actual dial knob
was about the size of a fifty-cent piece, but the cap of a Right Guard
aerosol can (remember that stuff?) fit over it perfectly, and gave extra
leverage to the flywheel. Oh, to give that a good, snapping twist and
watch that dial pointer swing so smooooothly half-way across the dial .
.. .

But I used *it* then, and I'm using a *modern* rig now, and the
modern rigs are better in almost every way but one - the romance of it.
But nostalgia ain't what it used to be, either. One week with the old
Zentih now, and I'd probably be begging for my R75 back.

Tony