Old November 14th 03, 01:31 AM
tommyknocker

Llgpt wrote:

Subject: Source of mysterious noise FOUND!
From: tommyknocker
Date: 11/13/2003 6:26 PM Central Standard Time
I finally got off my fat ass and decided to locate the source of the
data-sounding signal blocking my HF reception. A quick tour of the
premises with my DX398 revealed that the noise was only present in the
computer room/ham shack (yeah, my luck). But unplugging the computer and
peripherals didn't help. So I turned off the VERY EXPENSIVE surge
protector that the computer plugs in to, and the noise went away. Turn
the surge protector back on, and the noise starts up again. I don't want
to shell out the $$$ for a new surge protector, so I'll just have to
turn it off when I listen/DX. But why wasn't it doing it prior to about
two months ago? Maybe I should buy another one...

It more than likely took a hit (surge) and something inside fried/died. I had a
new in the box top of the line Tripp Lite fail upon opening it and plugging it
in for the first time. Turned out to be a faulty solder joint. Quick repair and
has worked for several years since.

Guess it's off to Fry's (electronics store) in the morning to buy a new
one. Mine's a Belkin and I've had it for about a year, but it's only
been doing this for a little under two months apparently.

Les Locklear
Gulfport, Ms.