Old November 14th 03, 08:20 PM
tommyknocker

Gray Shockley wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:26:06 -0600, tommyknocker wrote
(in message ):

I finally got off my fat ass and decided to locate the source of the
data-sounding signal blocking my HF reception. A quick tour of the
premises with my DX398 revealed that the noise was only present in the
computer room/ham shack (yeah, my luck). But unplugging the computer and
peripherals didn't help. So I turned off the VERY EXPENSIVE surge
protector that the computer plugs in to, and the noise went away. Turn
the surge protector back on, and the noise starts up again.

Uh, you did try that with nothing plugged into the surge protector?

Yep.

I don't want
to shell out the $$$ for a new surge protector, so I'll just have to
turn it off when I listen/DX. But why wasn't it doing it prior to about
two months ago?

It may have taken a hit fairly recently.

I had a fuse in the main box blow about two months ago when I tried to
run my new electric skillet at the same time as my a/c. That's probably
what did it.

Maybe I should buy another one...

It's lots easier to replace surge suppressors than computers.

I went and bought myself a new surge protector this morning. It's a
Tripp Lite (recommended by somebody else on the group) and it's one step
down from the most expensive model. It was $20 and the next one up was
$40. I paid $35 or so for the Belkin (the one that malfunctioned) so I
think I got a good deal.