Old July 13th 03, 01:33 PM
Alex V Flinsch

On or about Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:03:59 -0500, "Jason Dugas"
wrote about the following in article
:

Hello all,

I have a 6m transverter on the way this week to use just in time for the
CQWW contest this weekend... one problem NO ANTENNA!!

So I picked up a very old Yagi, built in 1969, but still in great condition.
Its currently cut for the 40 MHz band, so I should be able to trim the
elements down and change the spacing for a 3-element 6m antenna, right?

At any rate, the information I have been able to find so far (from various
Yagi calculators found online such as that found at
http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennae3ycalc.html) give the following figures:

Calculated Driven Side Element Length 4'6 19/32"
Calculated Total Driven Length 9'1 6/32"
Calculated Reflector Length 9'7 5/8"
Calculated Element Spacing 3'7 7/32"
Calculated Director Length 8'6 23/32"

Here are my questions:
1. Can I do this? Cut the elements, change the spacing.

Are you sure that it is cut for 40 MHz, and not 40 meters? What service
uses 40 MHz anyway?

If the yagi is really for 40 MHz, then I would just cut the elements to
length and not worry about the spacing, as there is a fairly wide range of
working spacing values. The only thing that would be changed is your
radiation pattern. If the yagi was originally for 40m, you will need to do
a lot of trimming, and will need to adjust the spacing.

2. What does "driven side element" length refer to? Is this the "matching
dipole" (gamma match) part of the driven element?

No, it refers to the length of each leg of the driven element (which is a
dipole)

--
Alex / KC2IVL
ft100 software for Linux http://www.qsl.net/kc2ivl