Old November 15th 03, 05:09 AM
Tony Meloche

Ronald wrote:

My car radio pulls in a tremendous number of AM and FM stations
compared to my bedside radio. Are there superior portable or table
top am/fm radios with digital programming and presets.

Lots of them, but few have the performance you seek from an
*internal* antenna. Not long ago, someone posted here talking about the
tremendous reception they were getting with one of the Henry Kloss table
radios and a conventional dipole (for FM). But no presets there.

My memory of car radios goes back to the 1950's, and you're right -
they always seemed to have exceptional signal-pulling ability. An
electronic-wizard boyhood friend had an AM radio from a 1953 Buick that
he rigged with a 120AC/12vDC power supply, and with a standing whip
antenna, it got just as good results indoors as it did in the car. I've
often thought about that over the years - but pretty much all car radios
back then had great reception.

Just about the time that car radios stopped being an "extra cost"
feature, is when their overall sensitivity dropped (predictable).
That's why there is a huge trade in "aftermarket" radios for
automobiles, though most of them I have seen (there are exceptions)
emphasize FM performance 'way over AM, nowadays.

Tony