Old November 15th 03, 05:32 AM
Gray Shockley

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:53:28 -0600, Ronald wrote
(in message ) :

My car radio pulls in a tremendous number of AM and FM stations
compared to my bedside radio. Are there superior portable or table
top am/fm radios with digital programming and presets.

Before you spend a buncha money, see if your local RadioShack has any of the
AM loops left. At 9.97U$, ya can't lose. (closeout price)

If you want to get a new radio, I'm one of the boosters of the CCRadioPlus
(from CCrane which is the best support I've seen in about fifteen years).

AM, FM, ch2-13 (yippee..... grin) and weather band.

The AM and FM are what makes the radio exceptional (as does the five presets
for each band and the digital tuning).

The teevee ch 2-13 is on there and - as I said - yippee - I've never used it.

The weather band is excellent //if// you have another Weather Radio which has
SANE (the thingie that means you can set the alarm for your county rather
than - around here - about a third of Mississippi and adjacent Louisiana
parishes. Of course, if you don't have weather ... nudder grin.

You can set it to "go off" (loudly) or have a little LED wink (a double-check
to a SANE radio and, also, before I go to sleep, it's nice to see the wink
and see where bad weather is.

It's pretty much the only radio in this class.

An excellent analog is the GE SuperRadio III (3). It's what I (and others)
recommend for someone who wants to listen to one station that's out of range
of whatever radio is being used. The radio is just too inconvenient - to me-
for any other reason as it's analog tuning isn't the most accurate. If I had
toi use one, I would imagine I'd be using a grease pencil on the dial face.

Stinger and I are both using the CCRadioPlus with the (also from CCrane)
Justive AM Antenna and both of us are very pleased with the combination
(however both of us got our antennas when they had a sale and the price was
50U$ - half of the normal price).

I haven't really played with FM much. I have the automatic on (for an hour)
set for NPR which is about 50 miles away and all I had to do was tilt the
built-in whip (and there's no place for FM antenna as there is for AM).

One of these days, I'll, at least, try a T-Antenna (the 1U$ 300-ohm antenna
that comes with radios that cost 500U$ grin. Also, of course, FM is between
channels 6 and 7 (US TV), so I'm thinking of trying just wrapping the whip
with the 300-ohm lead.

Gray Shockley
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399