Old November 17th 03, 06:51 PM
Tim ODonnell

I don't want any extra knobs to turn that's for sure. One post talked about
propagation noise over receiver noise or other noises. now we're reaching
the limits of my knowledge. I don't know what propagation noise sounds like!
So that in itself is a problem. I use an old R8 and it doesn't overload I
know what that sounds like. I was just hoping that on occasions that I could
possibly eliminate cross talk on frequecies that I cannot tune out thru the
passband. It is the same type of problems that everyone has who loves to
listen to the radio and DX. I just thought that the Preselector might be a
tool that might be used to reduce a little noise, intermod and other types
of interference. Sorry folks I don't know all the terminology I just like to
listen and tinker a little.

If anyone else has something to share on this subject I am interested to
here what they have to say.

Tim

"Al - KA5JGV" wrote in message
Hi Tim,
No, a preselector is not a gimmick, but as long as you use phrases such as
"might help" or "a bit better" then you have a decent picture of what to
expect from it.

Use of a preselector is most noticeable with a lower quality receiver. If

it
tends to overload or pick up stations that shouldn't be there, a

preselector
"might help". The better quality receivers already have preselectors built
into them and they are properly matched to the receiver circuitry.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a preselector. The slight improvement is
not worth the cost, the additional knob tweaking required, or the lost

space
taken up by it. If you are having problems with overloads, save the
preselector money and invest it into a better receiver.

Al KA5JGV