Old November 17th 03, 11:52 PM
tommyknocker

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

In article , Diverd4777 wrote:

If you really need a radio with a crank because all the stores that sell
batteries
have been blown away by an apocalypse,
or
washed to sea by 1,000 Foot Tsunamis,

- Your screwed anyway.!

They may still be there, but impossible to get to. I live in Jersualem.
During the last gulf war, we carried gas masks and outfited sealed rooms.
I carried my gas mask in a gym bag, along with a small radio (with a speaker)
a flashlight, a pack of wet wipes and a small camera.

At home, I had an FR-200. I bought it because we could be sitting in our
sealed room for hours while the radio played loud enough for everyone to
hear.

Most likely we would still have modern conviences, such as electricity,
cable tv and internet. But if the electricty went out, being able to sit
by the light from the radio hearing a human voice from the outside would
be essential. There might have been a hundred AA batteries in another room,
but we could not get to them, nor could we light a candle.

As for stores being closed, even an inch of snow closes the schools here.
No snow tires, no snow plows, and very steep hills. It's gone completely
in a day or two, but while it's here, it's a mess.

Geoff.

But you still had electricity in your sealed room, correct? Or was the
electricity totally shut off in a "war blackout" like New York and San
Francisco did during World War 2 to prevent enemy bombers from seeing
their targets? In that case, I would think that outfitting your sealed
room with adequate batteries would be a must. Also, I would think that
in the event of a real war (not an intifada) like the Yom Kippur War
where Israel was being bombed that electricity could be easily cut off,
thus necessitating a non-AC radio. Larry Magne in Passport 2004 gave
relatively high marks to the Freeplay Summit which is powered by
cranking a small alternator instead of the spring wound generator like
the original Freeplays. Is it available in Israel?