Old November 18th 03, 12:45 PM
RHF

Ron Hardin wrote in message ...
Tim ODonnell wrote:
So now my question is this. Is my thinking off? I just want the best
reception that I can get. I just thought that a pre-selector might help.
Like Dan said below I really don't expect to use it all the time. Just when
it may help.

You can hear down to the internal noise of the receiver. If the
antenna brings the propagating noise up over that level, no further
improvement in the antenna will help, except making it directional
to favor signal or disfavor noise, if noise is directional.

RH,

So What Is Your Choices: (Why? -v- Why Not?)

[ ] Continue to use a simple Random Wire Antenna
and ADD a "Pre-Selector" to make it 'better'.

[ ] First improve your old antenna and try rebuilding/replacing
it into a "Low Noise" Antenna a la John Doty.

~ RHF

Modern receivers are very sensitive, but tend to succumb to overload and cross modulation
that results (hearing anything loud in lots of places instead of the one it's at).

A preselector kills off loud things that aren't where you want to listen, giving you
the ability to get a little bigger antenna to work for you, up until it exceeds the
internal noise, and then a bigger antenna doesn't help again.

So you get the possibly small improvement between hearing propagating noise and
the intermodulation limit somewhat expanded, is all. The usual experience though
is that the preselector ``reduces the signal,'' because you tend to compare it with
the big antenna without preselector and not the built-in whip.

They put a preselector on some active antennas because of the intermodulation; other
active antennas (McKay Dymek DA100E) have lots of headroom and don't need the
preselector, and so you don't have to tune it. It may still overload your receiver
though, for instance almost any portable; and then you have to add a preselector
because of the receiver. It doesn't overload an R8B.