Old June 14th 04, 10:14 PM
Hal Rosser

I noticed some electromagnetic waves will travel through distilled water,
and some will not... then when you put mud in it - those that could -
can't - and those that couldn't - can.

light was one

"David Harper" wrote in message
m...
I was wondering what the general relationship between frequency and
its ability to transmit through various materials? For instance, 1GHz
and 1MHz obviously transmit differently through materials. I'm
curious as to what material properties are involved (i.e. dielectric
constant, density, etc?)

The main reason for this questions is I'm wondering how well 1+ GHz
(GPS) signals transmit through about 1.5 inches of expanded
polystyrene (styrofoam).

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Dave

---