Old November 22nd 03, 06:06 PM
Robert Sillett

I don't think any of the previous postings properly addressed Mark's
question.

Since the BBC stopped shortwave broadcasts to the USA in 2001, it's very
hard to receive them. And since Mark is looking at a budget portable, the
only broadcast that he could possibly listen to would be the evening
broadcast on 5975 kHz. Yes, there are other broadcasts that can be
received; however, none of the others are better than marginal.

The only way to properly hear the BBC in the USA is via a broadband Internet
connection.

On the other hand, Mark's posting makes a very good point. A decent
shortwave portable can cost only $100 to $200. But if Mark decides to
listen to the BBC via the official line, that is via broadband Internet,
then he's conservatively looking at $40 per month or $480 per year.

Bob

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
Hey Gang,

I am in need of some help in picking out a new shortwave radio. I no
nothing about them, but I am looking for something for $150 or less.
The SOLE PURPOSE that I need this radio for is to pull in as clearly
as possible any and all radio stations from the UK. Specifically the
BBC stations. I live in Minneapolis, MN if that makes any
difference. I am not at all concerned with am, fm or stations from
any other part of the world, ONLY the UK. My wife wants to get me one
for Christmas, so quick replies would be appreciated. Thanks in
advance for any help you can provide. Please e-mail all responses to
me at

Mark