Old November 23rd 03, 09:21 PM
Eric F. Richards

(maitkaci) wrote:

Can anybody help me about an unexpected failure in an Icom R8500
receptor?
No more signal, no more audio output, no way to enter a new frequency
with "MW" button. The display flashes continuously.
Has anybody experienced such a phenomenon ?
Help needed since there is no Icom support in the place where I live.
Thank you.
AitKaci

Greetings,

I had the same happen to an '8500 in an unheated shelter. The PLL
lost lock. One hint that this one was probably out of spec was that
the tuning was slightly inaccurate -- like, say, 20 Hz inaccurate at 6
MHz. Do you recall if it misread high or low?

You'll probably have to send it back for repair. There's quite a bit
that can be done with the software on the radio to "fix" it, but I
suspect you have a component failure and your "fix" will only make
things worse.

Aside: Has anyone gone through some of the features in the shop
manual and actually used them? Looks too easy to really dink up the
radio with all the alignment options they have.

Best of luck,

Eric

--
Eric F. Richards,

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940