Old November 24th 03, 03:38 AM
Brian Denley

Bob Bonneville wrote:
I am interested in getting back into SWL (This is what lead me into
ham radio back in 1963.) I have narrowed my selection to four
receivers over a rather large price difference. My choices were the
result of reading many conflicting reviews, along with some bias from
my days as a ham. I was hoping that some of you may have owned
various combinations of these over the years, that could result in a
first hand opinion.

The choices I have made are, in no particular order a
Drake R8B
Icom R8500
Ten Tec RX-350D
Icom R75

The Drake's a top gun HF receiver wit all the tools with all filters
included. The Ten-Tec is all DSP, also with a great set of DX tools and
about 34 filters included. The R75 is a good dx receiver but apparently
need several mods in order to work well and the other filters are optional.
The R8500 is an excellent wideband receiver but will not keep up with the
others on HF.

--
Brian Denley