Old November 25th 03, 11:28 AM
RHF

BB,

All of the replys to your original post; have given you some
very valid information on the receivers that your have asked
about. I am sure either the Drake R8B or the Icom R75 (with
the Kiwa Mods) will fullfill your Listening Needs. Before you
buy either, try and get to a store (or a friends HAM/SWL Club)
and test drive the ergonomics to get the feel of the radio.

But Remember One Thing: The Antenna is 55.5% of the
Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation.

TBL: Whatever you finally spend on your new Pride & Joy
(radio/receiver).
$=INVEST=$ 25% or more in a quality Antenna and Ground System
to maximize the potential of these high tech radios/receives.

FWIW: I own and used the Icom R75 with the complete set of the
Kiwa Mods plus an External Speaker and it is GREAT Receiver IMHO !

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Bob Bonneville"
= = = wrote in message ...
I am interested in getting back into SWL (This is what lead me into ham
radio back in 1963.) I have narrowed my selection to four receivers over a
rather large price difference. My choices were the result of reading many
conflicting reviews, along with some bias from my days as a ham. I was
hoping that some of you may have owned various combinations of these over
the years, that could result in a first hand opinion.

The choices I have made are, in no particular order a
Drake R8B
Icom R8500
Ten Tec RX-350D
Icom R75

I was also considering getting back into ham radio (my license is still
active and I retire in about 18 months) and would like an opinion as to how
the general coverage reception in most of today's ham transcievers compares
to the dedicated radios listed above.

I started in SWL in 1961 with a Hallicrafters S-120. Later moved to a
Lafayette HE-80 when I got the ham license. Then had things like a Drake
2-B, a Hallicrafters SX-117, and finally a Kenwood TS-820S (None of which I
have today.)

Thanks in advance......
Bob -- wa3cuj