Old November 25th 03, 08:25 PM
Art Harris

Pappy127 wrote:
Hi Bob, I use my kenwood ts-570 for short-wave receiving.

Why buy what you already have unless your interested in monitoring
several frequencies at the same time.

Exactly. If you're going to buy a modern hf ham rig, you will
automatically get a good general coverage shortwave receiver.

While ham transceivers won't have *all* the features of a
top-of-the-line receiver, it will provide solid performance in terms
of dynamic range, sensitivity, selectivity, frequency stability, etc.
Sure, synchronous AM is a nice feature, but is it worth shelling out
$500 to $1000 dollars in addition to what the ham transceiver costs?

Having said that, some ham rigs are better suited to SWLing than
others. Make sure you get one with appropriate AM filters and good
audio quality.

BTW, Bob, your old equipment is very similar to the stuff I had. My
first receiver was a Lafayette HE-40 (a clone of the S-120), and I
also progressed to an HE-80 which I used as my first ham receiver. I
also have an SX-117, and a not a TS-820, but a TS-830S transceiver.

Art Harris N2AH