Old November 27th 03, 03:37 AM
Tony Meloche

"Rolland

I used to listen to my dad's old halicrafter when I was growing up. Hours
spent listening to Radio Hanoi and Radio Moscow usually had me rolling on
the floor. I was wondering if there were some radios around that would pick
up those Europian stations and not empty my wallet.

Rolland

Well, first you must learn a new lesson, as your original experience
was long ago:

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

Radio Moscow is now called the Voice of Russia, and while you will get
their partisan political overtones in a lot of their English-language
broadcasts, it is nothing like what we used to hear years ago. There is
also a lot of really good listening on V of R, too. Times have changed.

Radio Hanoi no longer exists under that name, but most (not all) of the
broadcasts of Voice of Vietnam originate from Hanoi. Their easy-to-hear
broadcasts come from a transmiter relay in Sackville, Canada! (Did I
mention that times have changed?) All other Vietnamese stations are of
light-bulb output power and require a top-drawer receiver, good antenna
and excellent listening conditions. But V of R and V of Vietnam can be
heard easily, at least at night (and V of R frequently during the day)
on a good $100 portable, especially with a 20-odd foot reel-up antenna
attached (about nine bucks).

If I read correctly into your post (which I have no right to do of
course, but I'm going out on a limb), political extremism cracks you
up. If that's what you seek, there are plenty of choices right here in
the USA you can receive easily at any time of the day on a good
portable. WBCQ in Kennubunk, Maine will have you rolling on the floor,
and it's only one of several.

Other less-controversial international stations that you can hear easily
on above-mentioned portable would include Deutchse Welle, Radio Exterior
de Espana,
Voice of Greece, and Radio Nederlands. There are others, too. Hope
this was some help!

Tony