Old November 28th 03, 12:13 AM
N8KDV

RadioGuy wrote:

Peter wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
I have a question about this radio.
If I plug the AC jack in the wall and I have the 12 volt connection hooked
up to a battery as a power failure backup will it damage the radio? Is

there
an internal switch to protect it from both sources being connected at the
same time?

Thanks

Pierre

Shouldn't be any problem... Drake told me years back to put a big battery on
those terminals to act as back-up power supply for my R8B. Down here in the
lightning capital of the US we routinely pull the plugs, antennas and
grounds from our gear to keep it from getting damaged by lightning
discharges. The @#!&*# Drake R8B does not have any internal power back-up
so to keep from having to reset the clock every time the plug is pulled an
external power supply is needed. The current draw on battery during standby
is about 0.64 amp so size a battery accordingly. Why Drake couldn't have
put an internal back-up battery for the clock escapes me---then again, the
R8B is a half-baked receiver anyway!

RG

Half-baked?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Drake... When you care enough to listen with the best!