Old November 29th 03, 03:12 AM
Arthur Harris

"WShoots1" wrote:
It could be a pirate, someone using an old ham rig. There are still AM ham
transmitters out there.

The other night I heard an AM ham on 3885, which I believe is an AM ham

net
frequency. I didn't have time to stick around to learn his call or

anything.

Oh, that's for sure. I have an old Johnson Valiant, and sometimes operate AM
around 3885. There's lots of AM activity here in the northeast.

But the 3530 frequency seems like an unlikely spot for a pirate, especially
early in the morning. The pirates usually operate in the evenings and just
outside the 40 meter band (and many are using ssb). The OP said it sounded
very professional. He had three good quality receivers so I would rule out
intermod. And the frequency isn't a harmonic of any BC freq. Possibly a
spurious output from a BC station. Or somebody re-transmitting a BC station.
In any case, it's very puzzling!

Art Harris N2AH