Old December 1st 03, 02:15 AM
Gray Shockley

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:00:19 -0600, David Mills wrote
(in message .net):

Hi..

I have really enjoyed reading the feed back on my first post (need advice
for a short wave radio). Had no idea there was so much technical knowledge
involved!! You guys sure know your stuff.

I did not mention the model and make of my current radio. I currently have
a Realistic DX-360. It has analog tuning 6 separate short wave bands as
well as am and fm. There is a jack for dc current and an ear phone jack.
There is NO jack for an external antenna. A telescoping antenna comes out
to about 3 feet length or so.

I would guess that problem with fading and with the inability to pick up weak
stations is more an antenna problem than a receiver prob.

Put yourself up a reasonably good antenna and run the lead-in wire to your
radio area and wrap the antenna lead-in around the base of the whip antenna.

Wrap it a buncha times (say 10 or 12).

[10 or 12]

This is called "inductive coupling" as it is an interplay between the
magnetic fields of the whip antenna and the antenna lead-in.

So, this is known as either:

[1] inductive coupling using magnetic fields

or

[2] Wrapping the whatchacallit around the bottom of the thingmajig.

Gray Shockley
-----------------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio w/RS Loop
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
-----------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

I am not very happy with this radio due to lots of fading in and out and
only the strong stations come in at all.

I live in the Northeast US and I am mostly interested in getting Radio
Canada, Radio Switzerland and Radio France International. Anything else is
gravy!! I really want to keep price under a hundred.

Lastly..has anyone noticed the strong proliferation of evangelistic
religious type radio stations on short wave? does many folks really listen
to them? Wish I could filter them out but oh well!!

I went to a radio shack today and asked to see a Grundig Yacht boy 300. I
saw it. Trouble is..the salesman new nothing about the features. Hmmm..dont
like buying from a place with unknoledgable salesman!

Thanks guys for all your help!!!
David