Old June 16th 04, 05:59 PM
KA9CAR

I have seen the "solid" fatigue off fairly quickly.

I have used 22 guage and 14 guage stranded (soft not copperweld) and niether
one has broken on me yet.

Use a center device to stop help control the rotation. Commercial devices
(ladder lock) are about $11. I got mine at the hardware store for under $1.

http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/Ham_radio/doublet.jpg

KA9CAR

"Larry Gagnon" wrote in message
I will be constructing a 135' doublet (14ga. copper 7 strand) fed with
ladder line. I am trying to decide what type of ladder line to use:

1) 450 ohm commercial 14ga solid wire
2) 450 ohm commercial 14ga stranded
3) 450 ohm commercial 16ga stranded
4) make my own from 14ga stranded

I am leaning towards the commercial 16 ga stranded, partly for
convenience, also I am only running 100 watts or QRP, and I think it
might be a bit more flexible in the wind. I only need about 50' of
feedline. Any comments from hams who have actually used any of the above
and how it faired over the years would be greatly appreciated.

Larry VE7EA

--
to reply via email remove "fake"