Old December 2nd 03, 05:33 PM
Jerry Oxendine

"Keyboard In The Wilderness" wrote in message
Au Contraire -- a ham here who had an antenna up for years was told that

the
HOA voted it an eyesore and he was to take it down --He pleaded
"Grandfathering" and a long legal battle ensued and he lost. The CC&R was
not on antennas -- but on an "obnoxious structure"

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Then it would have gone to Federal court where I would've used PRB-1. This
is a federal statute that requires that communities (municipal, county, etc)
make
reasonable accomodation for amateur antennas. I would
bet neither you or I have all the facts you are relating because IF that
antenna had been in place for "years"
as you say, I still believe it would have to be grand-fathered. But because
some muckety mucks move in
after *I* have had a tower for years (17) I must now remove it? Well,
they'll have to show me the hard way.

Eventually, the comformity crowd just may have to stick out their lips and
bear it, because there is an antenna bill
before Congress that *may* cause the blue-hairs heart failure! It will mean
that HOAs will have to make the same *reasonable* accomodations as local
governments.
Why? Because Amateur Radio is considered a part of America's communications
infrastructure and has been proven a valuable asset. While it is, foremost,
a hobby,
many people never consider will happen when towers fall,
a tornado strikes, or even a forest fire strikes. Those yuppy cell phones
aren't worth a tinker's dam (no, not 'damn'), your computer doesn't work
without power or
phone lines, and what's left? Ham Radio, *some* ES
comms, Civil Air Patrol, et al. And who will cry "foul" first? The same
air-headed HOA people so hell-bent
to get rid of "ugly" antennas. The same ones that will
scream "I WANT MY PHONE AND TV BACK ON"!
"How can I find out if my mother in the next town is OK"? And you,
likely, won't find out! Because you
ran off the neighbor that *could've* helped. You embarked on this power
trip. Das Shutzstassen (SS)und Dummkopten. Ya, Idioten!
And your pleas will be met with exactly what you wanted:

......................................Silence

"Jerry Oxendine" wrote in message

"Keyboard In The Wilderness" wrote in message
Outwitting -- use Stealth Antennas URL:
http://ac6v.com/antprojects.htm#STANT
AND
http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?item=7571

Outsmarting -- Don't buy into an HOA Community
Think Ahead --- An HOA can adapt a no antenna rule anytime they want
Have Big Bucks to fight it in court -- Most HOA's have deep pockets

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Um, not exactly. If a neighborhood were to suddenly enact some sort of

HOA,
I believe any pre-existing antennas would have to be "grandfathered" in.
Hey, I
moved in next to a cow pasture that was in the city limits.
Now some 4-eyed wimps would want to try to make the
farmer get rid of his cows. Couldn't! When the city
annexed the neighborhood, they had to take the cows too
........they refused to MOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! (Sorry, I had to do that). The
cows stayed. Good neigh-
bors, too. Remained until the farmer died and his sons decided to sell
them. Now, they just can't put them back, tho.

Of course, the solution is NOT to move into one of those
HOAs with the blue-haired lady telling what color to paint
your shutters. Once you do, you are stuck. Kinda like those folks that
move in next to an AIRPORT and then
expect to get PAID because of the noise. I have no sympathy for them. I
choose NOT to live in such a place. And I get all the convenience of

city
living and the
atmosphere of the country: a grassy meadow (former pasture), lots of

wood
s,
dead end street, close in, yet
very quiet, deer, owls, geese, foxes, and raccoons--which I could do
without, BTW. AND all the antennas I
want!

Jerry
K4KWH