Old December 4th 03, 03:34 PM
RHF

ASW,

What you are missing is the Matching Transformer between the Antenna
Element and your Coax Cable.

NOTE: Before your buy or build a MW/SW Matching Transformer try using
a simple TV 300 to 75 Ohm Matching Transformer to "Test" your Antenna
Set-Up.

1. The Far-End of the "Speaker Wire" Antenna Element is Stripped,
Twisted Together and Soldered. Then Sealed with Electrical Tape.

2. The Near-End of the "Speaker Wire" Antenna Element is Stripped and
Connected to the Primary #9 Side of the Matching Transformer. Then
Sealed with Electrical Tape.

3. The Secondary #1 Side of the Matching Transformer is Connected to
the Coax Cable. One Lead to the Center Conductor Wire and the other
Lead to the Coax Shield Wires.
- - - At this "Junction" the the Coax Cable's Shield should be
Grounded to a good Earht Grounding Point. (Ground Rod and Short Heavy
Thick Ground Wire.)

4. The Coax Cable runs from the Antenna Element to the
Radio/Receiver. A second Grounding Point should be used at the
Radio/Receiver

FWIW: You have now 'created' a "Closed Loop" (Thin, Flat and
Elongated) Antenna Element (Balanced) that Matched-Up-To a Un-balanced
Coax Cable with a Remote (Quite) Grounding Point. For the most part
this is a Low Noise Antenna design.

OBTW: For more SWL Antenna Ideas . . .
- - - Check-Out the SWL Antennas and AM & FM Antennas eGroup on YAHOO
!

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "ASW"
= = = wrote in message igy.com...

*sigh*

well that did not seem to work.
I am being blown out by my local AM station.
But I am still pretty dead on all the other AM stations.
I cannot pick more than say 3 or so.
Before it was about the same.

But I all I seem to have done is increase the noise!

I have some spurious interference every 60-70 Khz.
This is from my power I am assuming.
How do I get rid of it?

I have it hooked up to about 50 foot of speaker wire.

Which is in turn soldered to the center lead on my coax.
The coax then goes into my reciever.
Am I missing something?

Thanks!

..