Old June 17th 04, 12:43 AM
Tom Ring

Depending on the card, and whether you have twiddled any special
registers in it, up to around 100mW. I believe the current distance
record from the contest they have every so often is around 50 miles.
People regularly do 10 to 20 miles.

Antenna plans, as well as manufactured antennas, and bidirectional power
amps are readily available. And may or may not be legal, depending on
many things, like if you are a ham using the correct (lower, I think)
channels, etc, etc.

I have a couple 2.4GHz bidir amps plus patch antennas at work that we
just recieved to play with. Haven't fired them up yet. Yes, they are
legal in this case, and we are also a wireless (and wired) ISP.

If you want to play with a good Access Point, get a Linksys WRT54G, and
flash it with the modified version from Sveasoft. This greatly enhances
the capabilities, adding such things as ssh access, kernel based
stateful firewalling, full routing capabilities, traffic shaping, etc.

tom
K0TAR

Jimmie wrote:

Does anyone know how much power these wireless units put out out? When I was
in the airforce we use to estabish a 3 mile data link with only 10mW.
Antennas were 1M parabolic. I still have a couple of these dish antennas
that were chunked when the old equipment was updated. A hilltop to hill top
link would be a fun project. Maybe something interesting to do for field
day.