Old December 6th 03, 11:57 AM
Jim Mac Donald

Once you get a short wave radio add an antenna tuner to a random length
or long wire antenna.
I have used a HAM antenna tuiner with the Radio Shack DX 440 with seven (
7) feet to fifty ( 50 ) feet
of electical copper wire to listen to utility and broadcast DX. A
antenna tuner is not just for tramsmitting!
MFJ sells different tuners:
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/index.php
here's a nice one
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-956
Jim
"Brian L. Chaffins" wrote:

I'm very interested in getting back into Shortwave again after MANY
years of not. I did some when I was a teenager.

My general question is what would be recommended as a good solid radio
for under $300 in the used market. I'd also like digital readout but
not required if the radio is better for the money.

I've been watching ebay very close for the past week but not sure
which radio brand/model is the best deal. I missed a FRG-7700 that had
a Buy Now of $175. I blinked and it sold.

Thanks
Brian