Old December 7th 03, 04:57 AM
RHF

SS,

NOT A GOOD IDEA [.]

Read these two Messages on the SWL Antennas and
AM & FM Antennas eGroup on YAHOO!

TOP RAIL - As an Antenna Support Structure - Building Material
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...enna/message/3

TOP RAIL as a "Free Standing" Antenna Support
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/201

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (Steven Swift)
= = = wrote in message ...
It turns out that I don't have any decent supports for a good
long wire antenna on my property. I do have access to lots of
old iron water pipe.

I was thinking that I could build a support by screwing together
10ft lengths of this galvanized iron pipe. Start with 1-1/2inch
on the ground, use reducing couplers until I am down to 1/2inch
at the top. Seems pretty strong and stiff. The wire load would
be pretty minimal (we don't get ice storms very often). I could
get 30-50ft really easily.

Has anyone done this?

TIA,

Steve