Old June 17th 04, 04:53 PM
Jimmie

"aunwin" wrote in message
news:et%zc.115105$Ly.34531@attbi_s01...
I have a lot of hardline coax that I use for many things. I have some in
present use as a large value inductance because of its flexibility in
winding. I have now read that a wound inductance should have a smooth
surface ! Why is this? Does the corrugations of the outer surface

introduce
facters that overide
the mechanical advantages of flexibility?
Regards
Art

The corrugations may add length and inductance that is difficult to
account.. Otherwise it is something I have never given much thought to as I
have always used smooth materials to wind coils. I have noticed that when
using a threaded rod for a radiator on 2 M the antenna worked out to be a
little shorter than expected.