Old June 18th 04, 04:41 AM
Jack Painter

"mike sebring" wrote in message
I live in S.E. Alaska on an island that is about 99% solid rock and i am
wondering what would be a good way to get an effective ground for my rig

and
my antennas.
I have tried to drive a 4' ground rod in the ground and it will only go

down
about a foot and a half till it hits solid rock.
I have considered just burying several strands of heavy bare copper wire

and
using that for my ground.
Any sugjestions????
Thanks for any help any of you can give me.

EX WB8RSH soon to be KL7???

Mike

Mike, don't even bother with burying anything then, use above ground
radials. Others here have run tests of various heights above ground, from on
it up to the antenna itself. Many seemed to work quite well if I recall.
Maybe someone in the group could model an idea of your available design. For
other applications you could also use a tuned(tuner) counterpoise.

Best,

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, VA