Old June 18th 04, 06:33 AM
The Eternal Squire

Default best stealth antenna for a 50 foot tree?

Hi,

I'm moving again, this time to an apartment complex where formally
antennas are forbidden but informally the apartment management doesn't
mind shortwave listening so long as the antenna is discreet and has no
permanent attachment. The good news is that it is on the ground
floor, and my window is only a few feet away from a 50 foot acacia
tree. I live in a desert environment, and so the acacia is extremely
straight with short branches (but LOTS of thorns!).

I need to keep the antenna as inconspicuous as possible, and I have
the informal nod from my apartment management so long as I keep my
promise that the wire will be invisible beyond about 2-3 feet. I'm
planning on using number 30 kynar wire-wrap wire with insulation color
as closely matched to the tree or to the apartment housing walls as
possible. I'm not intending to operate more than about 20-50 watts.

I'm thinking the best idea is a wire vertical as high up in the tree
as possible, or possibly an interted vee. How much base would I need
for an effective inverted vee, anyway? For counterpoise, there is a
long thin metal strip landscaping barrier extending for at least 100
feet in either direction, which is about 10 feet away from the acacia
tree. One side of the strip contacts sandy soil, the other side of
the strip contacts lawn.

I could anchor the inverted vee to the bases of a couple 30 foot trees
on either side of the acacia that are about 10 feet away. Or, I could
simply anchor the kynar wire with a pushpin to the base of the acacia
and feet with buried submini coax to my window a few feet away.

I'm a little bit scared of using a slingshot to throw a wire into an
acacia tree, because the branches are so short. Would it be feasable
to slide multiple sections of PVC rod along the side of the tree just
to gently place sinker over the top branch?

So, I have a decision to make, but I am not sure which would be the
best one.
I am surrounded by many houses and lots of trees, which could get in
the way of the signal.

Please advise,

The Eternal Squire