Old December 10th 03, 11:45 PM
CW

More crap from the electric troll.
"w_tom" wrote in message
That protector does claim to be a 'whole house' protector,
but also makes claims that imply 50,000 amps of that claimed
150,000 amps really provides the protection. Again, specs or
even a wiring diagram, is so unavailable making it difficult
to say what this SYC-120/240TC surge protector really does:
http://www.lightningrodparts.com/surge.html

Basically, it appears to be 'whole house' protector. But is
also says, for example, that an indicator lamp can detect a
missing ground. Wrong. It cannot possibly detect a missing
'earth' ground - the critically essential ground. It could
detect a missing safety ground connection - which is not
relevant to surge protection. And so they forget to mention
which ground. That makes me suspicious even though I suspect
it is an effective 'whole house' protector.

Also missing is its joules ratings - another reason to be
suspicious.

In that cited URL is another protector that says
Keep the wires as short as possible and avoid sharp bends and kinks.

Wire routing that is very important for effective surge
protection - and that ineffective protector would rather not
discuss. But this telephone protector also does not say which
ground. Not any ground is effective protection. For example
grounding to dirt inside a flower box is not effective surge
protection. But it too can be an electrical ground - but not
earth ground.

This is fundamental. A surge protector is only as effective
as its earth ground. Not any ground. Single point earth
ground. No earth ground means no effective protection.
Benchmarks in surge protection make that point often,
repeatedly, and obnoxiously - because it is that essential to
selling effective surge protectors. Plug-in surge protectors
and UPSes do not appear on the list of effective protectors.
Why? Their "ground" is not central earth ground. No earth
ground means no effective protection.

m II wrote:
Manufacturer: Sycom
Model: SYC-120/240TC
150,000amp surge current capacity.

The wire to ground was a given, so I didn't mention it.