Old December 11th 03, 03:49 AM
m II

w_tom wrote:

Wire routing that is very important for effective surge
protection - and that ineffective protector would rather not
discuss. But this telephone protector also does not say which
ground. Not any ground is effective protection. For example
grounding to dirt inside a flower box is not effective surge
protection. But it too can be an electrical ground - but not
earth ground.

This is fundamental. A surge protector is only as effective
as its earth ground. Not any ground. Single point earth
ground. No earth ground means no effective protection.
Benchmarks in surge protection make that point often,
repeatedly, and obnoxiously - because it is that essential to
selling effective surge protectors. Plug-in surge protectors
and UPSes do not appear on the list of effective protectors.
Why? Their "ground" is not central earth ground. No earth
ground means no effective protection.

In any electrical code that I'm aware of, ground *means* earth ground.
In this neck of the woods it is defined as:

A connection to earth using a grounding electrode.

I don't know what other kinds of 'any ground' can possibly be.
It's either a ground or it isn't.

mike
--

..let the cat out to reply..