Old June 19th 04, 03:49 AM
Dan Richardson

I suggest you obtain a manual on the rig to begin with. You can obtain
one from TenTec. That said, the Scout 555 draws 10 amps on transmit.
So, yes you definitely need a bigger power supply.

Danny, K6MHE

On 19 Jun 2004 02:33:12 GMT, ojunk (Greg Doughty)
wrote:

Good evening to all. I just received a ten tec scout 555 and hooked it up to
my 58 foot attic dipole through an MFJ 901b and RS swr/pwr meter. On the rs
meter I am reading infinity for swr at roughly 30 watts on cw (really only mode
I use) on 40 meters. On the scout meter, I am reading at most, 2:0. Now the
scout has an adjustment on the bottom for power. With the radio on, into a
dummy load, as I increase wattage, swr goes up and the ALC light goes out. I
am not sure how to explain this but . . . when I try to tune the rig through
the tuner, the meter light dims and a lot of humming is heard through the
phones. The cw tone is purest when I am running about 8 watts. There is no
hum, no dimming light, and the ALC light remains lit. Basically, do I need to
get a better tuner, power supply(rs 3A ps in currently in use), or something
else. Thanks for any opinions.

73
Greg