Old December 13th 03, 02:26 AM
Chuck

I just found the schematic you must be looking at, at
http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/prepared/gear/convert.txt

It appears that C4 is simply a bypass capacitor to get rid of any noise
generated by the zener D1. I would use .047 microfarads.

My guess is that the originator was trying to be cute and generate the greek
letter "mu" for the traditional abbreviation of microfarad, but screwed up
and generated "ae" instead.

--Chuck N7RHU

"Rick Andrews" wrote in message
I'm new to shortwave, so if I sound like an idiot, it's because I am...
Anyway,
I found a schematic/howto to build a SW converter for car radio. From the
looks of it, it was done sometime in the very early 90's. It includes a
10.7 MHz IF transformer, and a NE602.
One of the parts listed is a ".047 æF" cap, and although my electronics
knowledge is decent, one of the holes in it is what the "æ" represents.
(Yeah, I know uF is microfarad, nF is nanofarad, pF is picofarad, etc.

Just
never ran across something with the æ before.)
From what I scraped together with Google, it's the same as a 47 pF.

Thought
I'd check with experts to be sure, though.

To avoid confusion since there are a few of these schematics floating
around, this is the author's info from the public domain statement

included
with the other files I am using:

M. Cooper
3425 Chestnut Ridge R.