Old June 19th 04, 09:27 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , mike sebring wrote:
I live in S.E. Alaska on an island that is about 99% solid rock and i am
wondering what would be a good way to get an effective ground for my rig and
my antennas.
I have tried to drive a 4' ground rod in the ground and it will only go down
about a foot and a half till it hits solid rock.
I have considered just burying several strands of heavy bare copper wire and
using that for my ground.

The other answers confused an RF ground with an ELECTRICAL ground. For
better antenna usage, above ground, on the ground or in the ground
radial wires are the best thing. I have read several articles describing
the optium length for a radial, some go as short as 1/4 wave * velocity
factor, one went as long .28 wavelength. YMMV. Actual diameter of the
wire is not very important.

However you will still need an ELECTRICAL ground for lightening saftey
and static discharge. That should be as wide and as deep as possible. If
you can only go down 1.5 feet, then a 6 foot length of 1" copper pipe
layed horizontaly as far down as you can go would be a good idea. Ask a
local electrician.

You don't need to worry about wetting it or adding conductive agents to the
soil unless you have lightening storms when the ground is dry. Although I
live in the desert, I don't. When there is a lightening risk, the ground is
damp.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel

IL Voice: 972-544-608-069 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838