Old December 14th 03, 04:38 PM
Dwight Stewart

"KØHB" wrote:
"Dwight Stewart" wrote

Several years ago (four or five), QST was
available at the Barnes and Noble bookstore
in this area. But it then disappeared off the
shelf and I haven't seen it since.

At $4.99/mo ($59.88/yr) plus tax, I'm sure it
wasn't a high volume business for Barnes and
Noble, since that's a 53% premium over the
membership dues, and you don't get the other
benefits which comes with membership. Only
an idiot would regularly buy QST from a news
stand!

There are circumstances that might require one to be an "idiot," Hans. In
my case, I purchased it at the news stand because ARRL never seemed able to
deliver my copy of the magazine (not fast enough to keep up with me). The
first time I joined, my address changed several times in a single year. I
joined at my home here. Two months later, I went elsewhere to prepare for
our operations in Kosovo. Several months later, I went to Italy for the
actual Kosovo conflict itself. Even though a change of address was sent with
each move, I received only one issue of the magazine that year.

The second year was pretty much the same as the first. I moved back to the
USA, moved several months later, and finally ended up back here again two
months after that. I got two issues of the magazine that year and didn't
rejoin at the end of the year (and didn't make any effort to get the
magazine for several years).

I joined ARRL again this year and have gotten each copy of the magazine so
far.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/