Old June 20th 04, 09:01 PM
Jerry Martes

Reg

The only thing I have been concerned about is the radiation pattern. I
have been trying to "disassociate" the coax's outer conductor with a dipole
so the radiation pattern will be essentially that of the dipole.

I have been trying to think of ways to make impedance measurements so I
might be able to estimate the reactance to currents cunducted along the
outside of the coax.

I really appreciate your comments on the practicallity of winding a few
turns of small coax in a small ferite.. That seems to have provided the
best insertion loss I've been able to acheive.

I've been trying to make a simple antenna for receiving NOAA satellites.
I have been learning that my antenna concept is of limited value for
producing clear pictures from weather satellites. But, I still want to get
more data on antennas so I might be able to get better pictures from a
"simple" antenna.
My principal problem right now is minimizing the nulls in the pattern.
Each null will produce a black line in the picture of te Earth when that
null falls below some threshold.

Thanks again
Jerry

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message

"Jerry Martes" wrote in message

How can I determine how effective a balun is?? I am working at 137

MHz
and cant consider a radiation pattern range of any kind.
I have been trying a coil of small coax in a relatively low loss

ferrite
toroid and then slipping a high permeability tube of more lossy ferrite

on
the coax to the receiver. I thought the higher reactance with a

reasonable
Q might minimize the current conducted along the feed line. Then, any
currents that do get by the reactive coil might get disipated in the

lossy
and high permeability ferrite tube section.

Since I'm working without much knowledge and almost no test equipment,

I'd
sure appreciate any information about how to evaluate baluns at VHF.

===================================

It all depends on what YOU mean by "effectiveness".

First ask yourself why, in your case, you think you need a balun.

If you are referring to common-mode current on the feedline then you have

state your requirements in numerical terms and find some means of

measuring
it as a fraction of the total line current, without disturbing the

antennas
normal environment.

But that's only half the job. Assuming you have some objections to common
mode current you then have to numerically relate common mode current to

the
adverse effects it may have on ALL other aspects of antenna performance.

And
unless you have some idea of the MAGNITUDE of side effects you don't want,
you can't sensibly talk about it.

Just a caution, nobody ever talks sensibly about power being radiated
specifically from feedlines. There's no such stuff. ;o)

The best way I can think of of discovering what a balun is actually doing

is
to entirely remove it from the antenna and see what happens to antenna
performance in terms of the all-important radiation pattern and gain. If
within your limited means of measurement you can detect very little or no
difference then, of course, don't bother to replace it. The usefulness of
baluns is often overated.

Similarly with your ferrite coil and tube experiments. If by doing
something, nothing happens, then don't do it.

Praps you could make a very simple current detector (a current

transformer)
which will fit around the feedline. A pair of suitably-shaped ferrite

blocks
plus a few turns of wire plus a diode plus a 500pF capacitor plus a

100-ohm
resistor plus a DC microammeter are all that's needed.

But making measurements at 137 MHz is fraught with error even by experts.

If your antenna is for receiving purposes only, then its 99.9 percent
certain you don't need a balun anyway. And a few turns of a few inches of
small diameter coax on a small ferrite ring can't possibly do any harm

even
if you decide to use one. It is sure to work as intended even if you've no
idea how well it's supposed to work.
----
Reg.