Old December 18th 03, 11:05 AM
N8KDV

Gavin Jacobs wrote:

I am trying to get started in shortwave, but I'm having trouble coming out of the chute. I recently dusted off a 13 year old stereo
and discovered that it was also a shortwave receiver. It is a Sony model FH-E727CD that combined CD/Cassette/Radio in an apartment
style enclosure. I tried hooking up the speakers and antenna and I can get the local AM and FM stations just fine, but I can't get
any SW at all. I live in Calgary and according to several web sites there is a station just south of hear that transmits at 6030 (eg
http://www.mindspring.com/~ttmdoc/canadianchallange.htm ), but I can't hear anything decipherable; just noise. I have a small loop
antenna that came with the radio. If I disconnect the antenna I get absolutely nothing; but with the antenna connected I get
background noise on all frequencies. So, what should I try next to get more stations?

Thanks,
Gavin

Well, CFVP is apparently still using 6030 with 100 watts. If you can't get *any* stations on shortwave then you might look into repair
of that radio, or the purchase of a new one altogether.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm