Old December 19th 03, 07:31 PM
Gavin Jacobs

Thanks for all the tips so far.

N8KDV If you can't get *any* stations on shortwave then you might look into
repair
of that radio, or the purchase of a new one altogether.
GBJ I did manage to get WWV at 10.00 MHz and a few other stations very
faint.
GBJ I also ordered a new radio.

Diverd4777 how much antenna did you hook up ?? It should be around 30 feet
of wire set away from other appliances to be effective..
GBJ A very rough guess would be 10 - 20 feet of wire wrapped in a
rectangular plastic housing provided by Sony; with about 4 feet to connect
to the receiver. I can't get at the wire itself (to count the number of
loops) without breaking the plastic. From the websites I have seen, this is
probably insufficient.

GBJ I have the loop hanging from a ceiling hook, so it is well removed from
any other electrical device.

WShoots1What shortwave frequencies are covered? You may be trying to listen
to a part of
the spectrum during the wrong time of day.
GBJ The radio will scroll (scan?) through all frequencies from 5 to 17 MHz.
It only locks on to a few frequencies that have a buzzing (??) sound. I have
made my attempts in the evening (9 - 12 PM MST; we are GMT-7, so I think
that span is 04 - 07 UCT)

Gavin

"Gavin Jacobs" wrote in message
I am trying to get started in shortwave, but I'm having trouble coming out

of the chute. I recently dusted off a 13 year old stereo
and discovered that it was also a shortwave receiver. It is a Sony model

FH-E727CD that combined CD/Cassette/Radio in an apartment
style enclosure. I tried hooking up the speakers and antenna and I can get

the local AM and FM stations just fine, but I can't get
any SW at all. I live in Calgary and according to several web sites there

is a station just south of hear that transmits at 6030 (eg
http://www.mindspring.com/~ttmdoc/canadianchallange.htm ), but I can't

hear anything decipherable; just noise. I have a small loop
antenna that came with the radio. If I disconnect the antenna I get

absolutely nothing; but with the antenna connected I get
background noise on all frequencies. So, what should I try next to get

more stations?

Thanks,
Gavin