Old December 19th 03, 07:51 PM
grumpus

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message ...
"Gary" wrote in message
om...
(rezeiwer) wrote in message

. com...
Looks promising but my wish is it would have also RDS function on FM.
The once proposed and cancelled flag ship Satellit was to have it.
73 rez

My auto radio has RDS and it is almost worthless. Only a couple
stations in all of Central California use it. And when I was in
Sacramento, only two or three stations there used it. Not widely used
to matter whether the radio has it or not - to me, anyway.

I saw KBS FM-2 use RDS once about a couple years ago, don't know whether
they were just testing it or what, but haven't seen it since.

Hi, there are at least two stations here in Western NY that use RDS.
FWIW, the Satellit 700 has RDS facilities, more than I supposed. The
classical station out of Buffalo on 94.5 used to trigger the RDS
function in a static way, i.e., if the signal was strong enough "WNED
94.5" would appear at the top of the display and stay there unless the
signal faded. Now I find that the station is transmitting a cheiron
(sic?) which scrolls across the display. It reads "94.5 WNED-MEMBER
SUPPORTED CLASSICAL MUSIC IN BUFFALO". The 700 has a demo mode which
will display a cheiron advertising the 700's attributes, but it never
dawned on me that this was part of its RDS facilities. Pretty cool,
but I wonder if the 700 is set up to display a broadcaster's playlist
or at least the title, artist, conductor, etc. of the performance at
hand. Perhaps it is and it depends on the broadcaster to transmit a
code which will trigger this additional facility. IIRC, Grundig Radio
Boy has a link which details the mechanics of RDS reception on his
website.

Regards,

Grumpus