Old December 21st 03, 12:05 AM
RHF

GJ,

Does the Sony FH-E727CD have any other Antenna Terminals beside
the two that you are using for the simple AM/MW/BCB Loop Antenna ?
- If it does, then read the labeling on them and use then.

NOTE: Many of this type of multi-function entertainment Radio,
CDs, ETC use the A/C Power Cord as an FM Antenna.

FIRST Try This: A 'simple' FM/TV (300 Ohm) Twin Lead Folded Dipole Antenna.
- It-Looks-Like-A "T".
- Here are some Links:
http://www.northcountryradio.com/Articles/fmdip.htm
http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/dipole.html
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O5D126DD6
http://kalx.berkeley.edu/recept/antsurvy.htm
http://www.kgnu.org/howtohear/antenna.html
http://arista-20-2590-folded-dipole-...epot-shop.com/
- Connect it to the Antenna Terminals on the radio used by the Loop Antenna.
- Stretch it out up the wall with the "Arms" 'spread-out' like a "T".
? ? ? Does your overall reception improve on AM? FM? and SW???

SECOND: Read Message #209 on the SWL Antennas and AM & FM eGroup
on YAHOO! "Two InDoor "Hidden" SWL Antenna Ideas"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/209
- - - Both are Low Cost and 'easy' to Make and Set-Up.

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Gavin Jacobs"
= = = wrote in message news:U4bEb.102677$bC.28176@clgrps13...
I am trying to get started in shortwave, but I'm having trouble
coming out of the chute. I recently dusted off a 13 year old
stereo and discovered that it was also a shortwave receiver.
It is a Sony model FH-E727CD that combined CD/Cassette/Radio
in an apartment style enclosure. I tried hooking up the speakers
and antenna and I can get the local AM and FM stations just fine,
but I can't get any SW at all. I live in Calgary and according
to several web sites there is a station just south of hear that
transmits at 6030 (eg)
http://www.mindspring.com/~ttmdoc/canadianchallange.htm
but I can't hear anything decipherable; just noise. I have a
small loop antenna that came with the radio. If I disconnect
the antenna I get absolutely nothing; but with the antenna
connected I get background noise on all frequencies. So, what
should I try next to get more stations?

Thanks,
Gavin

..