Old December 23rd 03, 03:39 AM
Frank Dresser

"Allen McBroom" wrote in message
. 97.132...

[snip]

Yes, I found that and downloaded it some time ago, but the manual
assumed the reader already had some working knowledge, and basically
outlines details specific to the S-108 operation, I think.

Great! I'm glad I could be a bit of help.

Hallicrafters manuals aren't always clear on every point. And the
control locations and operation can differ from model to model. Some
set the bandspread to 0 for normal tuning, some set to 100. Some models
even have the setpoint spelled out on the front panel, but don't count
on it. The bandswitch might turn clockwise or counterclockwise to go to
a higher band. Any of the smaller knobs could be a volume control,
depending on the model.

After I got a few Hallicrafters radios, I started taking the whimsical
controls as a given. As they said in "The Untouchables" movie:

"THAT'S THE CHICAGO WAY!"

And not even a giggle from Kevin C., who may have been very aware of the
inconsistancy from the factory located at Fifth and Kostner.

Frank Dresser