Old December 24th 03, 05:50 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Soliloquy wrote:
I need to learn code, but as I was listening, at some point, it seemed
like the character pattern repeated 3 times, there was a pause, then the
signals continued again.

Could this have been the end of the message, upon which the message was
retransmitted again from the start?

You can get software (freeware even but don't ask me for a pointer, as I
use Linux...) that will decode Morse. It has trouble with hand-sent
code and with noise and interference, but should be able to decode
strong, automatically-transmitted code.

(if you want to be able to decode noisy or hand-sent Morse, you do need
to learn the code though! - no computer has yet been devised that can
come anywhere near the ability of a trained operator to copy Morse...)

Back when Morse was still widely used for ship-to-shore communicaionts,
it was not unusual for shore stations to transmit a kind of "beacon"
signal, something like "V V V DE WSL WSL WSL V V V DE WSL WSL WSL".
I've not listened to commercial Morse for quite awhie but maybe that
kind of thing is still being transmitted?

I'll try to keep an ear on this frequency. All I'm hearing anywhere
near 9330 right now (noon Christmas Eve) is a domestic political call-in
show in AM mode on 9320, kinda sounds like it might be AFRTS relaying
Rush Limbaugh.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66