Old December 25th 03, 07:09 AM
Dave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

Okay, so here's the problem. The fence is metal, and the house is

covered
with steel siding. My DX-402 does pick up BBC on 5975 pretty well with

just
the whip (next to a window), but VOK is extremely weak to vanishing.

(This
last one is what I want the broomstick antenna for.) If I do go with

the
broomstick, should I stick with the five-foot piece that I already have

cut,
or go with a longer eight-foot piece which will still fit nicely in the
corner I have in mind. Or should I go all out with a ten-foot piece (or
even multiples maybe) and put it in the attic? Also, what type of

ground
should I use? I could run a ground wire out the window to a ground rod

that
is as old as the house, but that's about my only option (the house

predates
three-prong plugs with a real ground.)

I really appreciate your thoughts on these things. You obviously know a

lot
more about this stuff than I do.

The rafters idea could still work with standoffs, though not as well as

with
a wood surface. What material is your roof made from? How much of a crown
does it have? You could run wire along the crown of the roof with good
results. Use coax to get it into the house. Ground the coax outside the
house at the point it enters.

The roof is wood with asphalt shingles. But the attic is only about three
feet tall (see my reply to diverd4777). With extreme difficulty one can get
from one side of the house to the other through the attic, but trying to do
this while carrying something is next to impossible. Is that what you are
asking about, about the crown? Height, in the attic? If not please let me
know.

Dave