Old December 25th 03, 03:40 PM
Mike W

Along the same lines, I have a Sangean RS-330 (formerly Proton clock radio)
that has a lot of hiss noticeable when using headphones also. This a fairly
expensive radio, and works very well but I have noticed the hiss issue. If
I'm not mistaken, you can hear the hiss even before you turn on the radio if
you plug in the headphones and listen! On the other hand I have a Sangean
DT110 pocket radio that has virtually no backround hiss in the phones.

- mike w

"Ken Thomas" wrote in message
my DX398 has a lot of hiss through the headphones and line out.
Compare it to say, a Walkman - Sony is clear as a bell. My opinion,
and think about this for a second - any radio that has a speaker has
hiss on the line out or phones - without a speaker - like a Walkman or
IPOD, etc.. no hiss and sounds beautiful.

Regards

On 25 Dec 2003 00:25:59 GMT, ospam (Jmpngtiger)
wrote:

My Dx-398 sounds a lot better through my set of Sony powered

speakers(intended
for a walkman cd player).

I can imagine a good hi-fi stereo would be even better.

jt

Have run a succession of shortwave rigs through various hi-fi units

for
well
over three decades! Yaesu's FRG-7 is the Marantz of solid-state units,
emulating that auld Hammarlund thermionic tone! Really excels on those
Wednesday evening A.M.I. Net broadcasts on 3.870 mhz! Great for Lucky
Ocean's
"Planet" via Radio Australia also; as well as Auntie Beeb's musical
presentations! An audio-modded ICOM R-75 produces a nice fat midrange

which
sounds luxurious during sports broadcasts! Sony's 2010, through a

decent
microphone pre-amp, has a scintilatin' retro-vibe as well !

The Drake-R8B audio would be a Harmon-Kardon vacuum tube model. :-)