Old December 26th 03, 01:38 AM
RHF

DAVE,

Understanding the "BroomStick" Antenna and its Coil.
= WHY = Three Shorter Coils may Work Better then One Long Coil.

First: Lets take a Eight Foot (8Ft) piece of One Inch (1") Outside
Diameter (OD) PVC Pipe. (This is our BroomStick Antenna "FORM".)

Second: Take a Single piece of #14 AWG Stranded Insulated Wire
and stretch it out along the length of the PVC Pipe.
What Do We Have? A Vertical Antenna Element - That happens to
be 1/4 of a Wave Length (WL) in the range of 31 MHz.

Third: Take a Single piece of #14 AWG Stranded Insulated Wire
and stretch it out along the length of the PVC Pipe and form a
Coil of 11 Turns (about 1") at the Bottom. What Do We Have?
A "LOADED" Vertical Antenna Element - That happens to act like
1/4 of a Wave Length (WL) in the range of 10 MHz.

Fourth: Take a Single piece of #14 AWG Stranded Insulated Wire
and stretch it out along the length of the PVC Pipe and form a
Coil of 66 Turns (about 6") at the Bottom. What Do We Have?
A "LOADED" Vertical Antenna Element - That happens to act like
1/4 of a Wave Length (WL) in the range of 1 MHz.

Fifth: Take a Single piece of #14 AWG Stranded Insulated Wire
and stretch it out along the length of the PVC Pipe and form a
Coil of 460 Turns (about 2Ft) at the Bottom. What Do We Have?
A "LOADED" Vertical Antenna Element - That happens to act like
1/4 of a Wave Length (WL) for about 100 kHz.

CONCLUSION: The Conclusion That We Must Draw From The Above Is:
That the common BroomStick Antenna that has wire closely wound
on a piece of PVC Pipe to FORM a Coil of 3Ft, 5Ft, or all of
the 8Ft; must be resonant well below 100 kHz.

THEREFO Therefore for 31 MHz, 10 MHz, 1MHz and anything
in-between: The BroomStick Antenna simply looks effectively like
a 1/4 WL Antenna Element that works so-so in the range of 31 MHz.
= = = Effectively like a 1" Copper Pipe.

BETTER: The Better Alternative is to Start over by taking a
Eight Foot (8Ft) piece of One Inch (1") Outside Diameter (OD)
PVC Pipe. (This is our BroomStick Antenna "FORM".)
Next, take a single piece of #14 AWG Stranded Insulated Wire
and wrap three coils on the PVC Pipe.

* "Concerning the BroomStick Antenna" Read Message #410
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/410

* "Image of Tri-Band 'BroomStick' Antenna"
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/412

PHOTOS Section: Image "BroomStick Antenna Tri-Band"
GoTo= http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...FM-Antenna/lst

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Dave"
= = = wrote in message ...
"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dale Parfitt" wrote:

"donutbandit" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in
:

I just got through picking up a ton of discontinued wire from my
local Home Depot, and was planning on building a "broomstick"
antenna like some I found described on the net.

I built one. I was quite disappointed after reading all the hype.

I get better reception from a wire run around the corners of my
bedroom ceiling.

I would not anticipate the broomstick antenna to be any different
than a metal tube or rod of similar dimensions.

Good comparison. A tightly wound broomstick would resemble a
rod for receiving purposes.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Still true, even if each turn of wire is insulated from those
adjacent to it? How could that be?

Thanks,

Dave

..